VP, Research & Development
As a successful candidate, you’ll join a team of mechanical, acoustic, and software engineers to work on new technologies that are revolutionizing the way sound is experienced at venues across the globe. Our technology stack spans from innovative GUI designs, high-reliability network architectures, to embedded systems.
You will lead embedded system designs and improvements for new and existing products, research new technologies and industry trends and make recommendations on product direction, while mentoring engineers in training.
PK Sound is an owner operated, international loudspeaker manufacturer located in Calgary, Alberta, focusing on new, innovative loudspeakers that push the boundaries of technology.
We identified a need in the professional audio market for a new technology which drastically reduces setup time and improves sound quality for patrons. All current speaker products have a fixed horizontal and vertical dispersion pattern and this pattern cannot be changed once the speaker cabinets leave the factory. This point-and-shoot approach requires either significant up-front modeling of the acoustic environment prior to installation, or working on-site with the limited coverage patterns of each element, which is highly unreliable in providing even coverage across the entire audience.
PK developed and patented a new loudspeaker with interactive sound steering capability never before realized. This large format loudspeaker achieves complete control of the sound field in three dimensions through remote user control. This technology allows sound engineers to ensure every patron at an event receives the same, perfect sound regardless if they are in front of the stage or up in the stands. This new technology elevated our status as an innovator in the professional sound reinforcement industry by a substantial margin and allows to heighten exposure and brand recognition.
- Design, prototype, and prepare projects for manufacturing
- Develop and maintain embedded firmware for all products
- Participate in all phases of product lifecycle from specification to testing.
- Integrate electronic hardware, firmware, and software into complete systems.
- Evaluate, choose, and communicate with new and existing vendors
- Ensure reliable operation of products under extreme conditions.
- Develop test fixtures and assist in transferring designs to manufacturing.
- Effectively communicate progress and problems to management and other departments.
- Manage procurement of all electrical components
- Create product documentation and user manuals
- Provide support to customers
Experience and Education:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in electronic design
- Minimum of 2 years of experience supervising team members
- Experience with embedded test techniques, design for test, design margin analysis and design for production
- Experience leading a program transition from development to production
- Experience in managing schedule and resources to meet assigned milestones
- Experience functioning in multi-disciplined design teams across multiple projects
- Experience prioritizing work to complete multiple tasks at a time
Required Skills and Knowledge:
- Demonstrated RTOS firmware development in C
- Experience in all aspects of circuit board design including hardware designs with processors, FPGAs, memory, and industry interfaces, such as PCIe, Ethernet, I2C, UART
- Experience with PCB design tasks and proven ability to use tools to design (schematic capture), analyze and simulate designs prior to hardware execution.
- Must be well versed in Altium or similar software
- Demonstrated ability to manage technical and schedule risks and to identify cost reduction opportunities
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Critical and pragmatic thinking
- A collaborative, ego-free approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be well versed in Microsoft Word and Excel
Nice To Have Skills
- Continuous Integration / build server / continuous delivery experience
- Object-oriented development skills (S.O.L.I.D. principles)
- .NET (C#, .NET Micro framework) experience
- Knowledge of professional audio and/or DSP architecture
- Internet of Things development
- Test-driven development experience
- Computer networking concepts (UDP, TCP, etc.)
- Agile product development lifecycle experience (Kanban, Scrum)
We appreciate the interest of all candidates, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please email resumes to: